Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I think I'm addicted to memory

Seriously, it's getting really bad now. I've just noticed that almost every phone number I dial I convert the numbers in to images, I practice cards/numbers every lunch time and every evening, I form images for every name I read or hear, most evenings I go through my card images in my head as I'm going to sleep, I use a brain wave balancing machine every other day, I convert number plates of cars in to images and numbers on all road signs................................I think I'm crazy!

I have to say, I do love it though. There is nothing quite like going through a pack of cards and memorising them all. Something very satisfying about getting them all right, always makes me grin :)

My times are coming down and down for everything as well. I've got some acetate sheets of A4 that I'm drawing a grid on in permanent pen so I can print off 1,000 digit sheets and fill in my answers in non permanent pen over and over again.

I need to practice a lot more on the numbers. I'm looking ahead to the WMC this year and trying to work out what I should go for. "As many as you can you idiot!" I hear you cry but hark, tactics must come in to play. I need to go for an achievable number that I can get good scores on, not something so huge that I only end up memorising about 40 digits. I'll have to see how the training goes but I did 400 last year and I hadn't ever practised a number event longer than 10 minutes prior to that which was encouraging. I didn't make any errors either which was even more encouraging!

I really want to do 1,000 digits to get that part of the grand master done but I think I'll need a bit more practice before that. Hopefully have enough time before WMC this year to get it nailed. I know it can be done, but I want to do it a bunch of times before doing it in competition where things always seem to be harder.

And now I ask myself....................why aren't I the world number 1 with all this going on! Perhaps my brain is overloaded and I just need a week off :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

“…I use a brain wave balancing machine every other day…”


Do you have a brain balancing machine at home?

James Kemp said...

Yes, I use a home brain wave balancing machine. If you want to see more about the one I have you can go to www.life-systems.org and read more about it there.

It's really good, I highly recommend it. Huge improvements in my concentration, performance and general mental health.

Thanks for your comment

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link.

The concept of the machine is quite intriguing. How does the machine determine your feedback? I apologize for all of the questions; however I have one more… I noticed in the menu section, Courses>Private Training>> ”Peak Performance Sports Training” -- Does Dominic O'Brien endorse or have any association with this company?

Thank you for your time and patience.

James Kemp said...

Hi again,

The machine does not give you any feedback exactly. I had 3 sessions with the consultant on the website who set the machine up for me so I run a series of programs designed for my brain and goals. Dominic O'Brien helped to design the machine and does have many associations with the company. He runs private courses with the same machine which is why I chose to to for this one as he is a memory guru!

I hope this helps you. Some of my older posts might give you some more information.