Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another new card technique?

I was messing around with some cards last night and thought of a way that I can review what I've memorised without having to go right back to the start.

As I use the Roman Room method I go in a circle of 10 items in a room, normally putting 2 cards in each location using person/action. If I was to put a single card in each of the 10 locations and then go back to the first location and link a second card to the first one I'm getting a little review of the first card in each location. Also, I could go around again for a third time to the start and see the first 2 cards in their location and link a third card to them getting a nice little review of the first 2 cards in the process. This would allow for 30 cards per Roman Room which would be quite nice.

I've tried it out and it works, although it's a bit strange but could have some good possibilities.

I'm not sure if anyone has done it like this before so I'm going to give it a name................."The Roman Room go round and round 3 times putting cards there each time" or for short.......simply "The Roman Route system"

Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Zoomy said...

It seems to me that that method would be a lot slower than doing things the normal way - first you have to remember the first image you put in each location, then when you add a second you're essentially creating a new image, which would take about as long as putting two together in the first place.

Years ago, Andi Bell told me an idea he'd had - putting his first group of images in his first location, then the second group in the third, then the fifth and so on, and when he got to the end of the route going back to the second, fourth, sixth etc locations for his next set of images. That way he'd be reviewing what he'd earlier memorised when he passed them along the way, mentally speaking.

I don't know if he ever actually used that system, or if it worked at all. Personally, I don't like to be recalling during memorisation time - I read the numbers/cards/whatever and create the images, then re-read them and check that they ring the right mental bells. But I wouldn't use a system that involves remembering something I've earlier memorised without looking at the cards again.

James Kemp said...

Hi Ben,

I think you're right on the speed aspect. You would have to have to form 3 seperate images instead of doing just 1 the first time around. May be of some use to some beginners perhaps as it may help accuracy initially before moving on to a more advanced system??

I honestly haven't played around with it enough because I'm concentrating on just getting faster! I don't think I'll ever use it in competition.

Talk soon!

Anonymous said...

Hiya guys,

I like that idea...maybe not for speed cards, but it sounds like perfecting a system like that would mean less (if any reviews) so for hour cards it could be great. I've got some new ideas too...on paper still...cambridge is gonna be perfect preparation for the world championships

James Kemp said...

Will be great to see you there at Cambridge. Looking forward to it already!