Friday, October 20, 2006

First card trial

I just had a quick go at 20 cards to see how the new stacking system works and I'm pleased to say it feels much better, more accurate and easier than my previous efforts. Although I didn't time it (don't want to get discouraged by a slower time cos it's all shiny and new!) it was almost certainly quicker than before and the recall was much easier. It felt like I was looking at 4 short little movie scenes instead of one huge epic as I was before. It also feels better because I'm seeing a whole pack of cards or row of numbers as little manageable blocks rather than one huge task if that makes sense.

Speed with come with practice of course but I haven't dropped any speed at the moment anyway, so I'm hoping it will just get better from now on. The nice thing was I only used 4 locations in a room that has 10 items in it to store 20 cards. Very pleased it seems to be working well.

I'll do a full pack later on tonight probably and make sure that goes OK before starting to time anything.

2 comments:

Mike Carroll said...

Hmm...

I don't think I've heard of this 'stacking' technique before, seems like you may have created it.

So, you have 52 associations, one per card? and five images per location?

So you have:

[location 1]
Card 1 & Card 2 (linked is some fasion)
Card 2 & Card 3
Card 3 & Card 4
Card 4 & Card 5

[location 2]
Card 6 & Card 7

...and so on?

Hmm... seems interesting. It's basically using link-word, but with cards, and using location. (location being one of the most important aspects)

So, you'll need 1 room with 10 locations, and.. a 2nd room with 1 location? Or how?

I like the idea, but I think it might involve too much creativity in the intake of the information. You'll need to take the time and link each word to the next, which might be a tiny time consuming (this is of course, mostly important for the WMC and such).

But then again, It's hard for me to imagine Ben's 2704 method and linking 3 people together ;).

I currently am using SVO, and the intake seems as it would be faster (because you don't have to create the stories, they are created for you), but seems harder in recall, because of the simplicity of the stories, and lack of original creativity.

Let me know how the system works out for you...

I'd be happy to share a few techniques I use, which are quite similar to Ed Cooke's, and Andi Bell's; but I have my own twist that I think speeds up the learning process (of the technique, that is.)

email me at tranceriver@gmail.com ;).

Mike

Potata-potato, but I'd really like to know if you like your technique.

Don't give up on it just because no one else uses it, it might actually be the new best thing :)!

James Kemp said...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to make a note.

I'll go through your observations/questions in order as best I can.

* One association per card. Each card is a person who has an action and an object.

* Slight misunderstanding on the actual method though. The first card links to the first location. e.g. one of my locations is an ironing board so I'd like the Ace of Hearts to that - An ironing board with a shower attached to the end of it. The second card is then linked to the shower, not the ironing board. The 3rd card is linked to the 2nd card and so on until you have stacked 5 cards in one location. Basically the link method but based around the Roman Room system to help keep things in order.

* Each room will hold 50 cards (10 locations with 5 cards stacked in each) the last 2 cards can either be tagged on to the last location (i.e. 7 linked cards instead of 5) or simply put in the first location of the next room. I prefer the first option to keep it nice and neat.

* I have personally found it easier to link the items together in blocks of 5 instead of quickly moving around from location to location. I don't see it any harder or more time consuming to link 5 objects than it is to link 2 sets of 2 people in 2 locations. Give it a try! You might like it!