Saturday, April 21, 2007

USA Memory Championship

I've finally managed to find a video of the 2007 competition to watch and wanted to make my observations of it. I don't know how well a competition in this format would work in the UK. I just don't think there is enough to keep the interest of people who aren't involved in the memory scene. I found myself getting a little bored which I was really surprised about. I mean, I must be one of the most addicted memory geeks in the universe so that says a lot. There wasn't enough to capture my interest. There is only so much fun to be taken out of watching a line of people read out what cards they have memorised or a long list of words.

Memory competitions could become a great area of interest for TV but I can't see it going far, certainly not in the UK, in the format it is in. It needs to be more visual somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert on how to get people to watch the events on TV but I don't really like the format personally.

Perhaps I had built it up in my own mind too much? Perhaps I'm not the best person to be commenting because of my connection to the events? Anyway, I didn't want to upset anyone with my comments but I just think more needs to be done to get it to a UK audience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James, any chance of putting the video on YouTube?

James Kemp said...

Hi,

Some issues with that:
1) I don't know how
2) I'm scared I'll get told off by the copyright people

Sorry :(