Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sprint practice today

I thought I'd mix it up a bit today and go for some sprint times i.e. How fast can I memorise 40 digits and keep doing that until I got to a good time. I was very surprised at what 6 goes at this could achieve.

The first 2 goes were a bit poor, around 45-50 seconds each with up to 8 errors. Third and forth goes were much better with only 2 digits wrong in each and in 40 seconds. The last effort was 40 digits, no errors in 34.65 seconds which I was really surprised with. I didn't think I could go that fast and have any quality of recall at all. So, it makes me wonder if I should go through 2 lines at that sort of speed and then do a good review and keep going that way?

Going to study in the sunshine :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you're doing that but it is quality mate! Have you tried just going for a five minute dash with no reviews?? At that pace you'd be beating the world record! Damn reviews and damn the 1 attempt rule I say!

James Kemp said...

Hi Jim!

I think it's because I'm relying on my short term memory and not having to hold on to the numbers/images for long. My attempt at 80 digits left with 8 errors and with a time of 1min 30 so I don't think the world record is on quite yet!

Give it a try though, after a few goes I'm sure you'll get down to about 30 seconds. I think it's a useful exercise anyway, gets you used to seeing numbers fast.

Damn the 1 attempt rule!

Zoomy said...

Don't blame me for the 1 attempt rule! I think it's silly too. I'm pretty sure it was Gunther's idea, actually, if you really want to blame someone...

James Kemp said...

I would never damn Gunther. He is a memory legend.........but I do damn the 1 attempt rule!

Well, we've all got the same rules, so it's fair I guess. When I'm a bit better at this memory lark, I'm sure I'll vote for a 1 attempt rule in all events :)

Anonymous said...

Bloody Germans! I might have known! Only kidding, they're great really.