Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Learn and remember

I'm working my way through Charles Garavan's book - Learn and Remember for Leaving Certificate which he generously gave to me in return for some feedback on the contents. I'm only 2 chapters in and I'm already thinking about how it can help me with not just regular day to day learning but also my training for competition.

There is a very interesting section on reading information and remembering it. The short version is that if you read information it is not as good as remembering it from your brain i.e. don't keep re-reading information, test yourself on it from your memory. The theory goes that your brain will remember this much clearer and make it more relevant and consequently you will have greater recall.

I'm going to play around with this on the different events we do in competition. I'll try reading through the first 40 digits as normal and instead of going back over the numbers, just close my eyes and see all the images in their location again before moving on to line 2 and repeating. I'm excited to see how this will impact my results.

More soon memory fans

1 comment:

Zoomy said...

That makes sense. I normally read things twice, then the third or fourth recall I mainly do with my eyes closed, just looking at the numbers or cards if the image doesn't immediately spring to mind.